An obvious choice for the Thanksgiving table, but who's to say you can't make this year round? Inspired by the New York Times.
Sausage & Sage Cornbread Stuffing
- 1/2 pound ground sausage meat
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 Tbs chopped garlic
- 3 cups cubed cornbread
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (though you can sub this with most other nuts)
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock (it truly doesn't matter, just go low sodium)
- 1 beaten egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 350. Heat a medium-sized pan and coat with olive oil. Add the garlic, onions, celery, and salt and pepper and cook until softened. Add the ground sausage and cook until browned.
In a large baking dish, dump the cubed cornbread in and add the vegetables and sausage. Add the chicken stock, egg, nuts, parsley, and sage. Gently combine with your hands (this is the most fun way) until the cornbread is coated in flavor.
Cover the stuffing with foil and cook in the oven for thirty minutes. Yum yum yum!!! Carbs!!